Chicago Transit API
Posted on Oct 6, 2008
I have been working hard to release the work that I have been doing to expose some of the more interesting real time data about chicago transit. Currently it is very bus-centric, but that is hopefully changing.
The genesis for this API is some work I did awhile ago reverse engineering the CTA Bus Tracker mashup. I was able to expose the endpoints that powered their google maps mashup. In its original state - you can get some pretty awesome functionality and data. I am attempting to clean it up and make it more robust.
The native endpoints thus far are:
- getRoutePoints: Returns latitude/longitude, stop IDs, and stop names for bus stops along a particular route.
- getStopPredictions: Gets stop predictions. Timing and whatnot.
- getBusPredictions: Returns arrival predictions for a particular bus.
- getBusesForRoute: Gets buses for specific route
- getBusesForRouteAll: Gets information about every bus in the system.
- Schedule: Download the Schedule (pdf! w00t)
- getTimeAndTemp: Outputs the current time and temp
I also did some work to push the UPOC alerts from the CTA riders community into a usable form. That endpoint is the first of hopefully many that can be used to grab real time information about the CTA. You can access it at:
- Community Upoc alerts: Outputs the last alert sent from the UPOC group
Moving forward with the API, I want to do a couple key things. The first is to return JSON instead of that terrible XML. The second is to create a couple endpoints that will help with finding the right bus at the right location. I am always looking for help with this stuff - so if you have any ideas - please let me know in the comments.
So far, there are not a whole lot of applications using this API. The only ones I have thus far are:
All of this API work wouldn’t have been possible without the help of Dylan Richard, Dan X O’Neil and Kevin Zolkiewicz. The CTA has also been amazingly cool with all of this - I really like those guys.
- Release your applications inner API. Please. published on Oct 6, 2008
- Mini Hi Fi: The Chase published on Aug 30, 2008
- Excla.im - a replacement jabber bot published on Jul 13, 2008
- Japan Tech Friends published on Jul 13, 2008
- oh yea. i have a blog published on Jul 13, 2008